[Cerowrt-devel] ding dong is the debian drop tail queue dead?
Dave Taht
2015-04-26 19:15:08 UTC
I am not in a position to install this today.... (I will try to spin
up a box tuesday)

https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426

but as systemd's defaulted to fq_codel, I was wondering if debian 8
retained that default.
--
Dave Täht
Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67
Daniel Borkmann
2015-04-27 08:31:03 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
I am not in a position to install this today.... (I will try to spin
up a box tuesday)
https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426
but as systemd's defaulted to fq_codel, I was wondering if debian 8
retained that default.
From systemd-side, it needs commit:

commit e6c253e363dee77ef7e5c5f44c4ca55cded3fd47
Author: Michal Schmidt <***@redhat.com>
Date: Thu Oct 16 13:49:04 2014 +0200

sysctl.d: default to fq_codel, fight bufferbloat

That is:

$ git describe e6c253e363dee77ef7e5c5f44c4ca55cded3fd47
v216-627-ge6c253e

Based on the version, looks like it takes one more stable release
(219-7 is in experimental):

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
2015-04-27 09:01:55 UTC
Post by Daniel Borkmann
Based on the version, looks like it takes one more stable release
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd
...but looking at the packaging rules for that (the 219-7 in
experimental), it seems debian does not use the upstream rules. The
debian 'rules' file contains:

rm -f debian/install/*/usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf

An old changelog from v204 (dated Apr 26 last year) has this explanation:

* Do not install sysctl.d/50-default.conf because the systemd package
should not change kernel policies, at least until it will become
the only supported init system.

-Toke
Daniel Borkmann
2015-04-27 09:23:37 UTC
Post by Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
Post by Daniel Borkmann
Based on the version, looks like it takes one more stable release
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd
...but looking at the packaging rules for that (the 219-7 in
experimental), it seems debian does not use the upstream rules. The
rm -f debian/install/*/usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf
* Do not install sysctl.d/50-default.conf because the systemd package
should not change kernel policies, at least until it will become
the only supported init system.
Okay :/ In that case, Fedora should hit that earlier as far as I can see.

[ https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/systemd ]