wifi trick with comcast
Dave Taht
2018-10-09 20:17:53 UTC
https://msol.io/blog/tech/how-i-doubled-my-internet-speed-with-openwrt/
--
Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740
v***@vt.edu
2018-10-09 22:06:22 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
https://msol.io/blog/tech/how-i-doubled-my-internet-speed-with-openwrt/
Wonder what happens if/when the neighbor notices...
Jonathan Morton
2018-10-09 22:22:35 UTC
Post by v***@vt.edu
Wonder what happens if/when the neighbor notices...
I don't think any neighbour is involved here. He's using his own xfinitywifi hotspot in parallel with his own cable connection, and summing the bandwidth allowances from each over the same physical cable connection.

The better question would be: "what happens if/when comcast notices?"

- Jonathan Morton
Sebastian Moeller
2018-10-09 22:47:35 UTC
Desar All,
Post by Jonathan Morton
Post by v***@vt.edu
Wonder what happens if/when the neighbor notices...
I don't think any neighbour is involved here. He's using his own xfinitywifi hotspot in parallel with his own cable connection, and summing the bandwidth allowances from each over the same physical cable connection.
The better question would be: "what happens if/when comcast notices?"
I seem to recall thinking about the same trick (using one's own public hotspot), but I believe that at the time it was reported that one cannot log into one's own hotspot. But that might have been a myth....

Best Regards
Sebastian
Post by Jonathan Morton
- Jonathan Morton
Joel Wirāmu Pauling
2018-10-10 05:11:15 UTC
Must have some seriously terrible speeds on the main connection to
make this worth while; i.e sub 100mbit.

The hassles with port forwarding/per connection tracking and having to
then optimise latency sensitive traffic using rules to prefer wired vs
wifi uplink etc really make this pretty niche use-case.

The only valid reason for this would be to have a backup path; but
then again it's using the same providers network so it's not a
different AS anyway.

If you are using Multi-wan for additional speed ; then you should
probably think about getting a new provider/plan.