expressobin
Dave Taht
2018-08-01 02:54:21 UTC
50 bucks. Dual core arm. 3 "real" ethernet ports?

https://www.amazon.com/Globalscale-Technologies-Inc-SBUD102-ESPRESSObin/dp/B06Y3V2FBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491848966&sr=8-1&keywords=espressobin

with cake: https://github.com/davidk/espressobin-lede-sqm-cake
--
Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Daniel Ezell
2018-08-01 03:05:49 UTC
$79 for another gig of RAM
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-72-marvell-espressobin.aspx
Post by Dave Taht
50 bucks. Dual core arm. 3 "real" ethernet ports?
https://www.amazon.com/Globalscale-Technologies-Inc-
SBUD102-ESPRESSObin/dp/B06Y3V2FBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&
qid=1491848966&sr=8-1&keywords=espressobin
with cake: https://github.com/davidk/espressobin-lede-sqm-cake
--
Dave TÀht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Dave Taht
2018-08-01 03:10:04 UTC
It turns out it's just two ethernets with one, connected to a 2 port
switch. Not what I wanted. I'd wanted something different from the
apu2 or edgerouter X to play with, and I know the mvneta driver was
bql'd.

My experience with globalscales' gear has been that it runs too darn hot.
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
2018-08-01 09:23:02 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
It turns out it's just two ethernets with one, connected to a 2 port
switch. Not what I wanted. I'd wanted something different from the
apu2 or edgerouter X to play with, and I know the mvneta driver was
bql'd.
I bought one of these to play with:
https://teklager.se/en/products/routers/tlsense-i3-4lan

x86 (i3 processor), four real ethernet ports, and passively cooled. A
bit pricy, though; more than $400... But doubles well as a combined
switch and media player :)

-Toke
Outback Dingo
Dave Taht
2018-08-01 03:17:12 UTC
Post by Outback Dingo
nice, but needs an atheros AC wireless hat or something
youse wifi geeks... :)

I just wanted "some other arch" that could shape cake at a nearly a
gbit. Mips falls over. the apu2 struggles a bit.
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
d***@deepplum.com
2018-08-01 12:40:03 UTC
Why 3 ports?

Other than what?

2018-08-01 12:49:13 UTC
Yeah. Small FF 2 port Celeron board is what I use. And I have a 4 port Atom that runs like a bat out of hell.

Currenty fiddling with Xilinx Dev boards, just put packet processing in FPGA for Cake, and no problem with 2.5 - 10 Gb/sec. Just need a free piece of low level SFP+ interfacing logic.

My use case is using the open ChipLink/TileLink bus from RISCV rather than PCIe, making something that might be an open source ASIC design.

-Toke
Outback Dingo
2018-08-01 12:56:47 UTC
as a side note, has anyone done any sqm/cake work on say yocto or legato ??
Dave Taht
2018-08-01 20:06:14 UTC
Post by d***@deepplum.com
Yeah. Small FF 2 port Celeron board is what I use. And I have a 4 port Atom that runs like a bat out of hell.
Currenty fiddling with Xilinx Dev boards, just put packet processing in FPGA for Cake, and no problem with 2.5 - 10 Gb/sec. Just need a free piece of low level SFP+ interfacing logic.
cool. which? ultrascale?

I was looking over
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~ssradhak/Papers/senic-nsdi14.pdf again
Post by d***@deepplum.com
My use case is using the open ChipLink/TileLink bus from RISCV rather than PCIe, making something that might be an open source ASIC design.
How fast can that cpu context switch?
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Mikael Abrahamsson
2018-08-01 13:35:16 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
50 bucks. Dual core arm. 3 "real" ethernet ports?
https://www.amazon.com/Globalscale-Technologies-Inc-SBUD102-ESPRESSObin/dp/B06Y3V2FBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491848966&sr=8-1&keywords=espressobin
I have one of these, I bought it off of the kickstarter. In my playing
around with it, it needs more mature software (especially the bootloader,
why do I need to change bootloader when I change main operating system on
the thing?). I played with it for a few hours, wasn't impressed with the
networking performance or setup, so it's now in a box again.

It seems like good hw though. I like Marvell SoC.
Mikael Abrahamsson email: ***@swm.pp.se
d***@deepplum.com
2018-08-03 15:30:28 UTC
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08/03/clearfog-gt-8k-high-end-networking-sbc-marvell-armada-a8040-processor/

Looks interesting... I like the SFP+ being there, too.

(Regarding Xilinx ... My focus is on the FPGA. The ARM cores are less interesting, other than that the FPGA side can directly access their cache system creating a powerful, fast, coherent autonomous DDR backed memory addressable memeory for packets that does not need processor intervention. But Xilinx parts are not cheap)

Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Joel Wirāmu Pauling
2018-08-03 22:55:48 UTC
Needs 802.3bz capable Copper ports IMNSHO.

I don't plan on buying new dev boards from until there is something with
these that isn't terrible.