[Cerowrt-devel] sqm deployment
Dave Taht
2018-06-15 18:03:33 UTC
I didn't know streamboost was still a thing.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/list-of-smart-queue-management-sqm-routers.47183/

And I like very much that reviewers are at least asking the bufferbloat question

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/best-mesh-wireless-system/2/

but that's out of date.

eero just added sqm. google wifi has fq_codel in it (but not sqm)

What would it take to get more reviewers asking the bufferbloat fixes question?
--
Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Jonathan Morton
2018-06-15 18:33:20 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
What would it take to get more reviewers asking the bufferbloat fixes question?
Recently, LinusTechTips did a video showing how to "increase your internet speed up to 4x for free in 5 minutes". From the title, it sounds too good to be true - but LTT is actually somewhat reputable (though he *does* have a reputation for accidentally dropping expensive hardware while showing it off for the camera).

But it turns out he's talking about CloudFlare's new public DNS resolver, at the anycast addresses of 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, and he's perfectly aware that what it does is improve the *latency* of typical website access, and has no effect on what he calls "YouTube quality", which "relies on bandwidth".

So he seems like the sort of personality to be receptive to bufferbloat education. There are a few other reviewers who are probably capable of being educated, as well, though they're less aware up-front.

- Jonathan Morton
Sebastian Moeller
2018-06-15 20:38:35 UTC
Question: does anybody know what hides behind eero's sqm name?

Best Regards
Sebastian
Post by Dave Taht
I didn't know streamboost was still a thing.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/list-of-smart-queue-management-sqm-routers.47183/
And I like very much that reviewers are at least asking the bufferbloat question
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/best-mesh-wireless-system/2/
but that's out of date.
eero just added sqm. google wifi has fq_codel in it (but not sqm)
What would it take to get more reviewers asking the bufferbloat fixes question?
--
Dave TÀht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Dave Taht
2018-06-22 05:32:09 UTC
Post by Sebastian Moeller
Question: does anybody know what hides behind eero's sqm name?
It's the sqm-scripts.
Post by Sebastian Moeller
Best Regards
Sebastian
Tel: 1-669-226-2619
Jonathan Morton
2018-06-22 06:02:47 UTC
Post by Dave Taht
Post by Sebastian Moeller
Question: does anybody know what hides behind eero's sqm name?
It's the sqm-scripts.
So, the likelihood of them adopting Cake is…? :-)

- Jonathan Morton